Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Prince and(or) The Mice(?)

Cinderella, a name so famous almost nobody on this planet Earth have not heard about.
With utmost conviction, I would say that Cinderella is my all-time favorite fairy tale. I watched the one made by Disney for only about a thousand times as a five-years-old, way back when DVD was 10 times the size it is today and known by a completely different name, the Laser Disc.
I would watch Cinderella every single day after school while eating my lunch, and again on dinner time. I just had to get my daily twice-a-day dose of Cinderella. But unfortunately, clumsy-me today was also clumsy back then. One day, my teeny tiny hands dropped the disc and broke it to pieces and I cried an ocean, devastated. For some reasons that I couldn't remember today, my parents refused to get me a new disc. Eventually, without realizing, the day came when I no longer look for my Cinderella disc.



Prince Charming was never my favorite character and his scenes with Cinderella were not my favorite ones. Somehow, the whole notion of a Prince Charming and fairy tales never made its way to appeal to me. I guess, somehow someway, I just know that fairy tales are just, well, fairy tales and that there's something unreal about them. I didn't spend my days daydreaming about Prince Charming and get excited at the "....and they live happily ever after" line. Why, then, was I so obsessed with Cinderella if I don't even like Prince Charming and fairy tales? After all, isn't that what Cinderella is all about?


I think, there's more to Cinderella than just Prince Charming. In fact, I don't remember seeing a lot of Prince Charming in the movie. For the most part of it, it's Cinderella, her animal friends (especially the mice), and the evil stepmother and stepsisters. It's weird, but I would think of Prince Charming as a mere sidekick. The only time I remember of seeing him was during the ball when he would dance with Cinderella and at the end of the movie, when Cinderella is married to him. I guess that's why I don't like him. He's not around Cinderella much, unlike her animal friends. For goodness sake, he's not even the one who went around all over the Far Far Away kingdom to look for his love, if he can call Cinderella that. The Grand Duke was the one who did that for him. I'd say, the Grand Duke is more worthy of Cinderella's hand than Prince Charming himself. He doesn't do much. And to be perfectly honest, he's not even that good-looking.




There will be times when I'll wonder if Prince Charming would fall for Cinderella if he hadn't seen her at the ball, all dressed up, looking clean and oh-so-pretty. I wonder if he would even notice her among the crowd like he did at the ball if he had met her on a street somewhere in the Far Far Away Land, for example. I wonder if he would even take a second look at her when she's wearing her one and only dirty rug instead of a ball gown, and with her hair down instead of the Audrey Hepburn up-do she had at the ball.


Does Prince Charming know Cinderella at all before he decided to fall for her at the ball? As in really really know her; what she's like, what she likes and doesn't like, what she's been through and her aspirations for the future, her views on things and all those good stuff.
The idea of one falling in love from a mere sight and a few hours of dance around a garden seems to be too absurd for me, a non-believer in love at first sight. It is beyond my grasp.
I also wonder what does Cinderella love about Prince Charming other than the fact that he's a prince.
I wonder how will they manage to live happily ever after with each other.
I sure do wonder  a lot about a simple fairy tale movie, don't I?


Anyway......


Unlike Prince Charming, Cinderella's animal friends have been around since the beginning. They've seen her at her worst and were there during the low moments. They sing along together. They wake her up every morning, make her bed, and prep her for the day (which is one of my favorite scenes from the movie. Click here to watch). They even tried to make a ball gown for Cinderella with their tiny hands and feet. They were there all the way to cheer on her.
The mice are awesome cuteness. My ultimate favorite is Gus (the fat one on the right). Cinderella found him trapped in a mouse trap one day. He's so fat that the clothes for the mice are all too small for him. He's clumsy (like me) and is not as bright as Jacque (the thin one on the left), but I love him! Look at him. How can one not love him? So cute! And he got a cute husky, mice-y voice, too!
I wonder if Cinderella took her animal friends along with her to the castle when she married the Prince. Will the Prince like them? If Cinderella were to choose between her animal friends and her Prince, which will she pick over the other?


It's been proven time and again, romance would cease but friendship will not. Just think about this: who do you go to when you are having an argument with your significant other? Your friends! Friends make the world go round. No matter how bad a situation is, somehow, when they are around, everything seems better. And I'm not just talking about any kind of friends here, I'm talking about your real good ones.


Throughout my entire life this far, not once have I given someone a "Best Friend" title. Not Yet. The closest friends I have, I regard them as "good friends". Not that I think nobody around me is good enough for that title, it's just that I would love to have my significant other as my best friend, and nobody else. He'll be the one I go to when I'm having a problem with anyone, including himself. When romance fails, at the very least we'll have our friendship to keep us going.
Just like the mice were to Cinderella, so he'll be to me. He would see me at my worst and not run away and perhaps still thinks that I'm the best. He would be there to cheer on me, especially at my worst, when nobody else would. He'll be there to sing along through life together with me.


L.M.P

3 comments:

  1. i love it. this is very well written Sier. the last few sentences reminds me of a swedish proverb. "love me when i least deserve it because that's when i really need it"

    write more often please! i found reading about your thoughts and views on things really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful piece of writing! It may look simple to some (or even to yourself), but I find this kind of post to be really refreshing. You are a good writer=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words Liany and lessthanthree. Glad to know that you enjoyed reading my piece of simple writing =)

    ReplyDelete